Friday 22 December 2017

A Shock

I am at home in Celrà between journeys, Christmas is almost completely passing me by! I'm sorry, I didn't get round to sending any Christmas cards this year, normally I paint a new design each year. I miss my family in the Philippines. And I am shocked at the result of the elections in Catalunya. I thought that the many companies leaving and the fact made totally clear that an independent Catalunya would be outside the EU would dampen the fervour for independence, but not so. The popular vote was against independence as is the winning party but that's not how it works in most countries, it is the number of seats in Parliament. And that by a very small margin gives the independistas an overall majority which guarantees a continuation of the chaos and division in this region of Spain where I made my home.
But I can't see living here as being viable any more. Maybe it would not be so bad in Barcelona but Girona is strongly pro-independence and I cannot face the constant barrage of propaganda and posters. 

In a few days, I leave for Colombia but I'm not sure if that is such a good idea now. Part of me wants to get away from this chaos but another part of me wants to stay in order to decide where to go. Do I move to Valencia - real Spain? Or as my friend Christèle suggested, to France. But I would have to learn a new tax system and improve my French but that would happen if I lived there. But the area around Perpignan doesn't appeal to me very much, I find the city boring! There are too many Brits in the south of France, especially in places like Cerét.
I talked about buying a house or flat in Colombia but even that has been sent into uncertainty because I think, if I did so, it would only be to live there for 4 months in the year. And I need to sort out my permanent residence first. And it has to be in Europe because I want to be able to see my friends in the Philippines in 2018 and I would miss my friends in Ukraine. One wants to visit me during the summer.
I cannot sell my apartment here because the prices have dropped and I would lose money. I can rent it out for a 3 year contract, that is easy to do but then I wouldn't have sufficient capital to buy another place, I will have to rent another flat.
I read a comment in The Times this morning, "Rajoy has done a Cameron"! It was a risk calling elections so soon. "What if the independistas retained control?" That was the obvious question that I asked myself a couple of months ago when Article 155 was declared, putting Catalunya under direct rule from Madrid. And I am very unhappy about the leading politicians being in jail on remand, meaning without trial. That was a mistake, I think, and may well have swung the result of the elections. But that was the decision of a judge, not Mariano Rajoy.
I am hugely depressed about this. I can't travel anywhere, such as Valencia to have a look at possible places to live. It's Christmas I have to remind myself and anyway, I am going to Colombia on Wednesday. Maybe that's what I need to do, let the dust settle here and then make a decision when I get back on March 1st. I'm even taking my bike with me. I have a special transportation bag with containers for the wheels. The extra cost on the plane is 90 euros each way. It would not be the same renting a bike in Pereira, people get very attached to their bikes. Mine is carbon-fibre, a smart red and black, lightweight. But not so light when I carry it in the bag!
My bike clothes match the bike, serious cyclists are vain! In April, I go again to Ukraine, for Easter. I booked 10 days in Kiev but then I can travel to Nezhin or Kharkiv by train or plane.
I had already started clearing out my flat in preparation for renting it out before the elections, but I am not making a decision at the moment. It has to be totally clear of all personal things but it will be rented out as furnished, so the beds and furniture remain. I cannot believe how much stuff I have accumulated but then I thought that I would live here for ever. Four bedrooms, 100 square metres, big kitchen. It is perfect. Just one small snag. Location! Or do you think I will get used to the political pressure and stay here? The independistas will see the elections as a de-facto referendum on independence but Article 155 remains and the laws forbidding referendums and independence remain. Expect fireworks!

Then I added this later. No one is telling me to leave. It would be easier to change my mental attitude than change where I live! Maybe I will just have to learn to put up with it, but I am very depressed - there will not be a stable government in Catalunya for a long time. But I have a super flat which I could never replicate anywhere else, a health centre with free health care one block away. A charming lady doctor and a funny gruff nurse, Julio. My Meetup group but I don't enjoy that so much these days. But I still like the idea of a place in Colombia to use during the winter here. But I long for my filipino family far more than my colombiana familia. The trouble is, Manila traffic is a nightmare and some of the city is a bit wild west!
I was thinking about it in the bus back from Girona. My best plan is to stay put, regardless of all the political argy-bargy, and only consider leaving if they actually achieve independence which could take a very long time. Consider the UK, desperately hoping for trade deals with the rest of the world. An independent Catalunya, outside the EU also, would have to do the same. But the UK has the advantage of an orderly 2 year exit. An independent Catalunya would never have that luxury.
In Girona this morning, I looked at people around me, the vast majority who would have voted for the independence parties. I don't want to insult their intelligence but I don't suppose they had given much thought about the economic consequences of independence. They are driven by hatred for Madrid but that won't help them when the money runs out. I will stay on board but I can jump ship any time! But I will bide my time.


I had fun posting comments in The Times online today, Sunday 24th. John Carlin who was sacked by El País a couple of months ago for writing an anti-goverment piece in The Times, wrote another article very hostile to the government in Madrid. This was the second part of my post..

Unfortunately the actual discussion over whether an independent Catalonia would be financially viable has been lost. After the anger and the age-old feeling of being victims which drive this process (like stage 1 rocket fuel!) have been expended, I believe that the money will run out because I don't know where it will come from. Outside the EU and having to set trading tariffs with the world. And we know all about that!
But I have accepted my fate. If they finally get their dream of freedom from tyranny flying like a bird, with me on board to who knows where, it will still take a little while. So for the moment I will stay put in the independista hot-bed which is Girona! I am sorry, I have strayed slightly from the subject of the article. "Order, order".



 



2 comments:

  1. Steve. Thinking of you and the situation in Catalunya. Hoping good sense and generousity of spirit will (for once) prevail. Small Christmas present in the post to you, by the way. Not that it will be much consolation! Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good sense and generosity of spirit.... Absolutely no chance of that!

    ReplyDelete