Tuesday 26 September 2017

Photos!

I went to the Civic Centre this morning to pick up some of my paintings which were in storage following the rather sudden closure of the bar where they were being exhibited! I thought I would show you a selection of posters around the town of Celrà and I have placed them in a PDF file, click here
The size is about 8MB. I took all these photos this morning (Samsung S6 phone).

The most outrageous by far is hanging above the entrance to the Town Hall. This is what I am up against on a daily basis although this is the most extreme banner I have seen so far.

I feel doubly insulted because it is also in English, as if directed at me. There is only one other English person in the village and she is married to a Catalan. I am really annoyed by their use of English. I didn't ask why they had done it - I didn't dare. I have to be careful here because some people are quite fanatical, as you can see. I am not saying I would be in physical danger, only that it is a village and I want to stay here.



The corner of the brick wall in one of the photos is the health centre.  "Voting is not a crime". I don't think anyone has said that it is, as far as I know.
The interior view is simply to show you the interior of La Fabrica which is next to the Town Hall. It is a bar and restaurant and the Civic Centre is in the same building. Both were part of a factory dating from around 1920 which was restored in about 1980 by the local council.

I added this at 11pm. I have always had good relations with the Ajuntament although we are politically opposite and I hope it will stay that way (in both senses!). Actually, I sent an email this aftenoon complaining about the three posters by the Town Hall and I will write more tomorrow about it. I am not entering into a discussion about independence, it is simply that I think a line has been crossed in what is acceptable in a modern society.

2 comments:

  1. Wow Steve. I'm really sorry if those comments were pointed at you. It really does expose the lack of respect for plurality of thought that seems to define separatists wherever in the world they are and certainly in Cataluña. I only use my gaff as a holiday home and I can easily ignore these people. For you who has to live and work there it must feel very threatening. My thoughts are with you mate. Bernie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. I only said, "...as if directed to me". I don't believe they were actually directed at me. It just felt like it!!

      Delete